Skip to main content

Medicine & Technology

Growing up with sports, I have been fortunate enough to not have to deal with the technology side of medicine other than antibiotics and a mandatory heart scan for the athletic department. However, I have always been super aware of all the advancements and available machines for those with injuries. 
Image result for virtual reality of spinal cord
Injured Patient Using Virtual Reality to Learn to Walk Again
I really enjoyed Diane Gromala's TEDx Talk about how instead of pitying herself for her chronic disease she used it as leverage for her research in interactive art and computer science. She discussed how virtual reality inspired her new paradigm having learned that it enables awareness and inner feelings. It is amazing to think that virtual reality cannot only relieve short term pain, but Diane's research proves that it can settle long term pain too. 
Image result for virtual reality
Virtual Reality Goggles

Image result for cancerous forms identification
Normal vs. Cancerous Cells
The "Architecture of Life"  article focused on how molecules and atoms self assembles in the way they do. More specifically, how we can understand these natural rules of assembly and apply it to drug design, to tissue engineering—of the rapidly accumulating data we have about molecules, cells and other biological components". Brainstorming off of this idea, I wonder if machine technology in the future could identify the accumulation of tissue, molecules, and atoms before they form a cancerous tumor or a medicine that can be injected into the human body (like a vaccine at birth) that will forever monitor cell formation and prevent cancerous formations.

Works Cited:

  • Casini, Silvia. “Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) as Mirror and Portrait: MRI Configurations between Science and the Arts.” Configurations, Johns Hopkins University Press, 12 Jan. 2012, muse.jhu.edu/article/462877.




Comments

  1. Faith, I love that you bring up the influence of medical technology on sports. Sometimes it feels like injuries are inevitable, even if it is not a contact sport. I am most fascinated by the technology that has allowed for imaging of the body. These tools make it easier to diagnose and treat the body more efficiently. Instead of trial and error, athletes (and anyone else) can get CAT scan, x-rays, MRIs, etc. and know their diagnoses and prognoses as soon as the scans have developed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, I like your connection of sports to medicine and technology. It is hard to play sports for so long and try to avoid injuries, but you cannot avoid them forever. The new technology being created makes it easier for people to recover faster and get back to the level they were at before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Cultures

Art and science have always been two co-existing factors in my life with noticeable differences. I recognized these distinctions starting in middle school where we were still required to take general education science and elective art classes. Those who were good at constructing shapes with paint brushes received higher grades and those who could memorize the chemical equation for photosynthesis tended to do better. This has stuck with me since then because although I do not consider myself an artist I really tend to think more creatively and open-minded as people would see from a right-minded thinker. However, I am a woman of to-do lists and organization which would be expected of a left minder thinker. Thus, I have never really identified with the whole specific left/right outlook! Maybe this isn't a good thing as I am still undeclared here at UCLA and not exactly sure what academic path I am most interested in :/. I am steering towards communication studies in which I believe s...

Week 6: Biotechnology

 Biotechnology is a realm I have limited information on, but after watching the lectures, a few Tedtalks, and viewing the multitude of links the professor provided I realize it is a dense sector of science and often viewed as controversial. In one of the lecture videos Steve Kurtz talks about Biotech being about the shock culture from fluorescent mice to altering the wings of living butterflies to synthesizing bacteria into living organisms and shooting them into space, to plant modifications, Biotech seems to accomplish the impossible (and often in a creepy way). Fluorescent Mice While there is a multitude of experiments going on within biotech there also a plethora of opinions. "Meanings of Participation: Outlaw Biology" mentions that  Outlaw biologists love demystifying science," and they "can exist inside as well as outside of science." This statement stands for the George Gessert artistic irises, Orlan's Harlequin's coats, Kathy High's ...

Robots & Art

The industrial revolution was only the beginning for the evolution of robotics and I believe we are only budding the surface of what engineers have discovered and created. After watching the lectures, it is very apparent the history of geniuses who have paved the way and helped aid us to be as knowledgeable about the application of mechanics into everyday capabilities. People like Nikola Tesla (AC), Michael Faraday (dialysis), robots emerging into assembly lines and how that affected the printing press and car production, computers becoming the unity of the modern world, and I could go on. Robot Show in Tokyo The Ted Talks gave great insight into how robotics are being tested and utilized today. Starting in Japan where robots have always been prized and designed to mimic human form rather than American robots who are designed with a specific purpose and put to work. I will never forget when I visited Tokyo and we went to a Robot Show. Probably one of the most bizarre experie...